The theme for the momentous event chaired by Parish Priest Fr. Edward Loberiano, CP is: OLPGV at 50! Journeying with Mary.
Commonly known as Dadiangas Parish or OLPGV, it is one of the only two parishes which are administered not by the Diocese of Marbel but by the Passionist Congregation.
Through the years, I have had the chance to hobnob and work with some of the Passionist priests assigned there namely:
- Fr. Paul Plaza, CP, (a very good homilist and preacher),
- Fr. Leo Acierto, CP, (my hardworking editor at the defunct parish tabloid, The Voyager),
- Fr. Brando Recaña, CP, (a good listener)
- Fr. Ramon Ramos, CP (his homilie s used to fill up the last mass every Sunday nite),
- Fr. Henry Free, CP (suplado but funny priest),
- Fr. Deo Sustiguer, CP, (serious but kind-hearted),
- Fr. Nonoy Plaza, CP, (just like his brother, another good homilist who strikes the heart and the soul),
- Fr. Gabriel Baldostamon, CP (a good friend of the family, can be fiery in his sermons but is very approachable, he is the first Pinoy passionist),
- Fr. Nonito Adorable, CP (our highschool pastor and still our batch’s favorite),
- Fr. Manny Gellez, CP (the humblest and most youthful passionist I’ve met), and
- Fr. James Oclarit, CP (the bravest priest I’ve met whom I accompanied to their Missions in Kiami, Malapatan).
These priests have touched my life and lives of many others and have continued to do so, wherever they may be assigned.
The OLPGV, although not the oldest parish in the Diocese (Glan and Lagao parishes are older), was where most of us were baptized, confirmed, first confessed, received Holy Communion and married.
The Parish has outlined a list of activities which started last October 1, 2008 to in celebration of this milestone. This includes a Trade Fair, Novena Masses from October 4 to 12, Kasalan sa Parokya (Mass Wedding), Children’s Fun Day, Tree Growing, Variety Show, Panulo sa Kadalanan, Motorcade and a Pontifical Mass on the fiesta day itself (October 13, 2008) to be presided by Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez.
Incidentally, Bariles Republic has agreed to join the editorial board for a Souvenir Magazine that is being planned for the Golden Celebration.
To Parish Priest Fr. Edward, and the vicars (especially Fr. Manny Gellez, CP), parish staff, parish workers and lay leaders of OLPGV, happy 50th birthday!