Today, November 8, 2009 marks a special milestone in the history of this blog!
It is the SECOND BIRTHDAY or BLOGOVERSARY of GenSan News Online Mag!!!!
Who would have thought that this blog would have gone this far since that time when a tech-challenged newbie blogger who called himself BARILES, first published an entry entitled, “Banana Snack Vendors at the Oval Plaza Court” in a blog he named as BARILES REPUBLIC, An Idiot’s Guide to Gen. Santos City?
The article contained a single picture of a young man buying turon from a vendor at the city oval plaza and about four sentences describing the scene. So far, it has elicited four responses from readers, starting from this blog’s very first commenter, Arfel Paqueo who was then and until now, a resident of Canada.
Bariles’ plan was to showcase, through the photos he will publish in the blog, positive images of his city and was targetting generals who are based outside of GenSan, mainly OFWs and people like Arfel, who have permanently moved abroad.
Bariles was also incharged of the news updates of the local government website (http://www.gensantos.gov.ph) which he felt was stifling since all he could put there was hard news and he could not interact with his readers. He wanted something with a personal approach and only a BLOG could do that.
The little blog went on to be called Bariles Republic’s GenSantos.com and finally, GenSan News Online Mag.
He realized that he wanted it to be a Magazine about GenSan on the internet, where people can search for articles about places to go, dine, visit in GenSan and find developmental news and positive feature articles about the Tuna Capital. And with GenSan being the hometown of boxing champ Manny Pacquiao, it should also be a source of info about him.
534 POSTS & 11,000 COMMENTS:
For the past two years since he started his personal blog, Bariles, has single-handedly written 534 posts, and has received 11,032 comments from his readers. This doesn’t include the private email he received from all over the globe, most of which were messages of thanks and gratitude from people who appreciated the blog’s worth.
HALF A MILLION VISITS:
GenSan News Online Mag has also received 542,267 visits since December 2007, according to stats released by Bravenet, an Internet visitor-counter widget.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION:
On its first year, the blog won as one of the TOP 10 Emerging Influential Blogs for 2008. For 2009, it garnered three awards at the Philippine Blog Awards: the Readers’ Choice Award for Mindanao; the Best Destination Blog for Mindanao and one of the 10 Globe Tattoo Digital Tribe awardees for Mindanao.
Therefore, in gratitude for all of these and in celebration of its 2nd Blogoversary, GenSan News Online Mag is running an ULTIMATE GREETING CONTEST much like the one during the first blogoversary.
Here are the mechanics:
- Only subscribers to GenSan News Online Mag are eligible to join the Ultimate Greeting Contest.
- Subscribers may post their Blogoversary Greetings on the Message Box below.
- The most unique, most touching and most well-written greetings will win prizes.
- Contest period is from November 8 – 14, 2009.
- Winners will be announced on November 16, 2009.
- The decision of the judges will be final.
- Prizes are transferrable.
Here are the simple prizes:
One Free Day Tour for Two to Lake Sebu with Lunch at Punta Isla Lake Resort. Package includes a zipline ride and a trip to the Seven Falls. Sponsored by Zion Travel and Tours owned by Bariles’ BFF Francis Sablon. Roundtrip transfer starts from Koronadal City to Lake Sebu.
- One Free Overnight Stay for Two with Complimentary Breakfast at Dolores Tropicana Resort Hotel, Tambler, General Santos City. This is sponsored by the Dolores Hotels and Resorts.
- One Free Overnight Stay at Lemlunay Dive Resort, Barangay Tinoto, Maasim, Sarangani Province, courtesy of Miss Michelle Lopez-Solon of Go Sarangani Travel and Tours. (NEW)
Three (3) FREE Slots for a Short Course on either Photo-editing with Adobe Photoshop CS or Basic Web Design at the ACLC College, Magsaysay Avenue, GenSan. This is sponsored by Atty. and Mrs. Rey and Maya Cartojano.
- Three (3) “Eat-All-You-Can” Lunch for Two, from Arnevel’s Restaurant, National Highway, GenSan.
- One (1) “Dinner for Two” at Grab-A-Crab Restaurant, Robinsons Place GenSan. Sponsored by Mr. Michael Wee, owner.
- One (1) “Dinner for Two” at Giacominos Pizza, Robinsons Place GenSan. Sponsored by Ms. Aymie Bartolome, owner.
- One (1) “Dinner for Two” at Sunset Bistro, Robinsons Place GenSan. Sponsored by Ms. Petit Veneracion of Sud-An Resto Grill.
- One (1) “Dinner for Two” at Orange Bistro, Lagao, National Highway, GenSan. Sponsored by Ms. Cathy Teng.
- One (1) “Dinner for Two” at Ranchero Grill GenSan or Davao, sponsored by Mr. Paolo Sunglao.
- One (1) “Dinner for Two” at O-ohlang Native Grill and Seafoods Restaurant, NCCC Compound, National Highway. Sponsored by Ms. Baby Ayon.
- One (1) “Dinner for Two” at Gio Mongolian Grill, Tiongson Arcade, Tiongson Street, Lagao, GenSan. Sponsored by Allan Sanidad.
- Gift Certificates from “Genee’s Fastfoods” and “Ice Crops-Robinsons“, courtesy of Mr. Rey Billena.
- Six Toppings/Sizzler Meals at Junji Oriental Fusion, Robinsons Foodcourt, sponsored by Chimes Concept Events Management.
- One(1) Gift Certificate from Bread and Music Box Family KTV, sponsored by Ms. Armie Royeca.
- Three (3) Gift Certificates from Kakanin, Atbp., thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Chito and Junith Bugayong.
- Two (2) Gift Certificates from Thirsty Fresh Fruit Juices;
- Two (2) Gift Certificates from Fonti Coffee Shop-Robinsons.
- Five (5) CD’s of Centerpoint Band‘s first album, “Paper Floors“, courtesy of their manager, Ms. Geraldine Oville.
- One (1) Bestseller from KnowRead-KnoWrite, from blog author Gilbert Tan.
- One (1) Free Make-over Gift Certificate from Envy Me Salon, Robinsons, courtesy of Ms. Donna Mae Congson.
- Token from ABS-CBN Socsksargen, through Station Manager Ms. Annie Solon.
- Tokens from GMA-8 GenSan, through Station Manager Mariles Fuentebela.
- Token from Gandaeversomuch.com of Mr. Orman Manansala.
- Token from Google Philippines, courtesy of Google Phils Consultant Aileen Apolo.
- Three (3) Free Domain Names from Jehzreel Laurente, of Jehzlau Concepts.
- Three (3) Free Premium WordPress Themes from Ms. ChiQ Montes of WPThemeDesigner.Com.
- One (1) Free Domain Name and Free Hosting (One Year) , from GenSanSale.com and Nokiahost.com, of Job Oberio.