Let me play Jojo Acuin or Madame Auring just this once by sharing with you my Top 7 Predictions for 2012 that could happen here in General Santos City and Soccsksargen within the next 12 months.
Here they are:
1. The establishment of a LONE CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT for General Santos City. – This is long overdue considering that the total population of GenSan has already reached more than half a million already. But unless the National Government approves for publication the 2010 National Census figures, which will peg latest census figures at 600,000 and which will be a major basis for the re-alignment of the congressional districts of South Cotabato, this will have to wait. Hopefully, by the 4th quarter of 2012, our representative, Congressman Jun Acharon will be focusing on just the city alone.
2. The construction of Gokongwei’s GoHotel beside their Robinsons’ Place GenSan lot in Barangay Lagao. – With more and more conventions and large conferences being conducted in GenSan, the hotel boom will reach fever pitch this year with the entry of national players in the hotel industry, including GoHotel which will open its Tacloban branch this year. That only means that GenSan will be next.
3. The ground-breaking of the Mindanao Campus of University of Santo Tomas in Barangay Ligaya, General Santos City. Touted to be a full university and not just a college annexed under the UST Main Campus in Manila, UST General Santos will offer the same courses. This will give Mindanaoans full access to quality education under the tutelage of the Dominicans.
4. The expansion of the General Santos City Hospital and the improvement of its operations. – Health being at the forefront of the administration of Mayor Darlene Antonino Custodio, expect this one to materialize with the entry of Private-Public-Partnerships (PPP) in the operations of key departments in the City Hospital. Thus within the year, we shall witness the opening of the Dialysis Center that will drastically lower the costs of a dialysis procedure, PPP-initiated pharmacy and laboratory which will offer lower medicines and services, respectively; and additional beds with the opening up of the 2nd floor of the hostpital’s new building.
5. The commencement of the construction of the city’s Sanitary Landfill in Barangay Sinawal which hopefully can begin its operation by the end of the year or early 2013. This will further boost the city’s Garbage Disposal and Segregation Program which it is trying to strengthen among the generals. Cleaner city = healthier environment = mas Magandang GenSan!
6. The entry of more major players in GenSan, notably Ayala Land. – With Robinsons and SM here, can Ayala be far behind? This could either be by the Kastilaloy-owned company’s joining the now very competitive mall industry or through the still-very-open and lucrative mass housing business in the Home of Champions. Either way, we have received reports that Ayala has sent feelers to brokers to look for large tracts of lands in Barangay Lagao.
7. The privatization of the General Santos City Central Public Market. – As mentioned earlier, since the local government is keen on Private-Public-Partnerships, then the idea of pushing for the privatization of the GenSan Central Public Market should be put in the forefront. Reports have reached us that the SM group is keeping an eye on this possibility. If that happens in 2012, then we will soon have our very first air-conditioned MALLENGKE! Cool!
So that’s it – our 2012 Top 7 Predictions for GenSan! Do you agree with most or some of them?