What climate stories can you tell in five minutes using a smartphone?
Building on its previous initiatives of surfacing climate stories through film, the Oscar M. Lopez Center (OMLC) has partnered with Samsung for the 2023 Mga Kwento ng Klima (MKK) Short Film competition.
Open to all professional and independent Filipino filmmakers, the 2023 MKK Shorts is seeking short climate films, running for up to 5 minutes, shot entirely using the latest Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. No submission fee to join.
Interested participants shall submit a pitch deck for the climate film that they will be producing. Films about the environment, biodiversity, and other related topics with no climate lens will not be accepted.
Each participating filmmaker can submit a maximum of two (2) film pitch decks using the template provided by the OML Center. Submission templates can be accessed here: https://bit.ly/MKK2023PitchDeckTemplate
Films must be in live-action film narrative format aligned with the following genres: drama, comedy, musical, action, suspense, historical or science fiction. The 2023 MKK Short Films is not open for documentary and animated film submissions.
Deadline of submission of film pitch deck is until 11:59 PM of 12 May 2023 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject format “Balangay Project – 2023 MKK Shorts Pitch | Tentative Title of the Film”.
Pitch decks will be screened by a panel composed of OML Center and Samsung representatives based on climate lens, story concept, director’s vision, and creative approach.
All filmmakers passing the preliminary screening will be provided a Galaxy S23 Ultra to produce their films. Qualifying filmmakers will also be required to join a month-long Climate Film Lab (CFL). The CFL will provide participating filmmakers with resource persons and mentors to help support their story development, strengthen the climate lens in their narratives, or utilize the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra for film production.
Final film entries must be submitted by 11:59PM of June 23, 2023 through an online submission form. Submitted files must be accessible and downloadable.
Final film submissions must have the following additional specifications:
- Films using any regional languages or dialects must have English subtitles.
- Any music or song/s used in the entry must be original or must have already secured permissions from the original artist and/or copyright owner/s.
- Films must be submitted in digital copy using MOV, MP4 format, High Definition quality, minimum of 1920 by 1080 pixels (1080p), aspect Ratio: 16:9.
Film submissions must be accompanied by:
- a 15-second film teaser (in soft copy, MP4 format);
- a film poster in 16×20 inches size (in soft copy, JPEG format);
- at least ten behind-the-scenes (BTS) photos;
- a one-minute BTS video highlighting how the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra was used during the film production; and
- completed and signed Letter of Consent, Talent Certificate, and Music Certificate.
Up to ten entries will be selected as finalists and will be awarded cash prizes during the awarding ceremony happening in July 2023.
- Best Film – Php 50,000 + up to Php 130,000 worth of Samsung products, including the latest Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
- 2nd Placer – Php 30,000 + Php 30,000 worth of Samsung products
- 3rd Placer – Php 20,000 + Php 11,000 worth of Samsung products
- Special Jury Award – Php 20,000
- Remaining finalists (up to seven) – Php 10,000 each
All finalists will be streamed through iWant TFC for free.
Mga Kwento ng Klima Short Films is a film competition that aims to capture the unique Filipino experience of climate change and convey the need for urgent climate action through films. It is a continuation of the 60-minute documentary Mga Kwento ng Klima co-produced by the OML Center and ABS-CBN DocuCentral in 2019.
For more details about the MKK Shorts 2023, visit https://www.omlopezcenter.org/MKKSF2023/.
Be the first to write a comment.