Finally, Bariles is back after a hiatus of over a week caused not so much by the holiday “lazy virus” but by a “writer’s block” so powerful that it knocked out all his resolve to go back to writing, after living and eating like a boar during the long Christmas break.
Anyway, all that is past now and so with your indulgence, dear readers and subscribers, here is Bariles’ first blog post for the Year of the Metal Tiger, 2010,
For this article, Bariles reviews the year gone by, starting with this item, on the most read articles for 2009.
I. GENSAN NEWS ONLINE’s TOP 10 POSTS for 2009:
- More Funny Pictures of Manny Pacquiao – 8,517 pageviews
- Dionisia Pacquiao and Presidentiables’ Funny Pictures – 4,716 pageviews
- More and more Pacquiao Funny Pictures by Popular Request – 4,231 pageviews
- Jinkee Paquiao’s Fashion World – 3,861 pageviews
- Happy 60th Birthday, Mommy Dionisia Pacquiao – 3.727 pageviews
- Pinoy Big Brother Double Up Housemate is from GenSan – 3.476 pageviews
- An Invite to Manny Pacquiao’s Daughter Queenie’s Baptismal Party – 3,398 pageviews
- Dolores Tropicana Resort’s 10th Bikini Open, A Visual Delight – 2,958 pageviews
- Manny Pacquiao fetes Dionisia in Grand Debut Party – 2,870 pageviews
- Hong Kong Columnist calls Philippines a Nation of Servants – 2,715 pageviews
The Top 10 posts which received the most number of readers were mostly about Manny Pacquiao and his Family, including wife Jinkee, Second Daughter Queen Elizabeth and mother Dionisia. This just goes to show how even more popular GenSan’s former resident has become for the past year and with fame, he and his loved ones have become favorite subjects of cartoonists, caricaturists, photoshop artists and anime artists. And as a sort of tribute to them, this blog gathered most that it can find out there in the Internet.
Bariles has also noted that readers would like to peek into Pacquiao’s family’s parties and grand celebrations in General Santos City. This is the reason why his blog posts on the birthdays of the Champ, daughter Queenie and mother Dionisia also got a lot of pageviews. Bariles is very fortunate to have been invited to these events and was able to relate first-hand the star-studded ongoings during those fabulous gatherings.
II. YEAR OF AWARDS.
2009 turned out to be a Year of Achievement for this 2-year old blog about GenSan with its three awards from the Philippine Blog Awards for Mindanao, held during the 3rd Mindanao Bloggers Summit in Cagayan de Oro in October 2009.
These are the Chikka Reader’s Choice Awards for Mindanao (chosen by text voting); one of the 10 Globe Tattoo Digital Tribe Awardees; and, the Best Destination Blog for Mindanao.
One award was actually enough for Bariles to keep him going with his advocacy to promote GenSan but having been given three awards unexpectedly has made this a lifelong commitment… wherever this may take him.
III. YEAR OF THE BLOG CONTESTS
For 2009, we conducted a total of 8 blog contests, with restaurateur Mr. Michael Wee as perennial partner in most of them. Mr. Wee represents the new breed of entrepreneur in GenSan, young ,very dynamic and in tune with the times where Internet presence is now a necessity for business sucess.
- Vote For Your Best Photo in the TAHANAN NI MARIA PHOTO CONTEST QUALIFIERS
- David Pomeranz in Concert Blog Contest
- Pooh-K “Laugh Out Loud” Concert Blog Contest
- Side A Band All-Hits-Live SEO Contest
- “What Air Supply Song Are You?” Blog Contest
- The 2nd Blogoversary Ultimate Greeting Contest
- PBA Coca-Cola Tigers vs. Talk n Text Tropang Texters Game Contest
- The Next One – Sarah G. Concert in Gensan Blog Contest
GenSan News Online gathered about 250 entries to all these contests and the winners were given their very own row of choice VIP seats during the concerts. For 2010, Bariles will again conduct contests and promises to make them more exciting and with more prizes.
IV. THE YEAR OF EYEBALLS, PLURK FIESTAS AND SCHWAGS:
The Soccsksargen Bloggers Group which Bariles helped organize with partners Hecky Minoza, Bro. Vince Celeste FMS, Ariel Lalisan, Job Oberio and Mark Aethen Agana in 2008 have gone a long way since the time they first eyeballed at Coffee Club 1o1.
Now boasting of more than 160 members from all over the globe (from 83 in January 2009), 40% of which are the more active ones based in GenSan, the bloggers have been busy in a good number of gatherings, together with Davao Bloggers (Blogie Robillo, Lyle Santos, Brendel Balaga, Jim Haw, Angel Abella, Chattee) as immortalized in the following blog posts:
- Plurk Fiesta at Generals Brew
- GenSan Bloggers at St. Elizabeth Hospital’s New Modern Wing
- Bloggers Plurk Fiesta at Ranchero Grill
- Plurk Feista at Orange Bistro
- Taaz Bar Welcomes the Bloggers
- Rediscovering Giacomino’s Pizza
- Rediscovering Olaer Springs Resort
- Soccsksargen Bloggers Grand Eyeball at Robinsons Place (by Hector Minoza)
- Photo-Journalism Workshop for Bloggers and Christmas Eyeball
- GenSan Google Mapping Party
V. THE YEAR BARILES GOT EXPOSED:
Two publications took notice of Bariles and this blog and exposed him to its thousands of readers. We have not even included the few times that ABS-CBN Socsksargen featured him in their news reports.
V. THE YEAR OF FACEBOOK:
- GenSan News Online Mag built its own Fan Page last year on Facebook. To date, it has over 1,500 fans, mostly generals, some of which are now based abroad. To check it out, log on to: www.facebook.com/gensannews .
VII. THE YEAR OF RECORD-BREAKING PAGEVIEWS:
For 2009, General Santos Online Mag received almost 400,000 Pageviews, according to the blog’s Google Analytics.
Next year, we are aiming for at least HALF A MILLION.
VIII. THE YEAR TO BE MOST THANKFUL FOR.
The year 2009 came and went by so fast and despite some issues on personal health and work, everything went better than what Bariles expected. Shout-outs of gratitude are therefore given to the following for making our 2nd year of existence more meaningful and eventful.
- Bro, the Great Editor-in-Chief.
- Orman, Bariles’ #1 Fan and Critic who has now become a well-loved blogger himself — www.gandaeversomuch.com/.
- The Planetman who has been Bariles’ formidable companion throughout all his blog sorties, acting as photographer, listener and wake-upper when sleep takes over at the middle of an occasion.
- GenSan News Online Mag’s 500++ subscribers.
- Bariles’ mailing list consisting of uncomplaining friends worldwide who receive his updates everytime there is a new blog post.
- Generous readers of GenSan News Online Mag who have touched Bariles so much with their personal gifts (George, Eve, Marilou, Ate Guy aka Mimi, Bobby, Lelen, Bambi, Ging and Roi, Ate Sen, Kimberly, Peng, Sir Ernie, Malou and Tito, Cecille D, Kuya Ely, and others whose names will be added here later once Bariles remembers them).
- GenSan News Online Mag’s Contest Sponsors.
- GenSan News Online Mag’s Sponsors for two years in the running:
- Bariles’ close-knit blogger friends who have been his constant companions for the most part of 2009, sharing his triumphs and joys and giving him the much needed wind to spread his wings and fly even higher (flying fish huh?). You know who you are.
- And of course to YOU, dear reader for always finding the time to visit this blog, leaving a note or two and telling other people about it. Thank you very much, Magandang GenSan and Happy New Year!
Congratulations, for a fantastic 2009 for Gensan News Online Mag!
I’m one of those fans who are looking forward to 2010 with even more of the info goodness that gensantos.com never fails to bring to its readers.
Three thumbs up!
looking for greater posts in 2010!!! keep ’em coming, KUY!!! cheers!!!
You really have a lot to count as achievements and blessings in the year 2009. Thanks for sharing them generously to other bloggers even to newbies like me. May you continue to give us fresh news of our beloved Gensan while we’re away from home not only in 2010 but in many years to come.
Cheers to GenSan News Online Mag!
congrats avel, i’m always a fn of gensan on line. keep up the goodwork always, God Bless you Avel
Congrats at sana dumami pa ang mga biyaya na natatanggap mo. Blooming na blooming si avel ba! Ano kaya ang sekreto?
Kuya Avel, Congratulations! Congratulations! You’re really good at anything you do. And you know what? I owe my blog to you, you’re the one who pushed me to publish my writings and let the world read it. Thank you! and more power to you and Gensan News Online Mag.
@Ate Amie, thank you likewise. You write beautifully well that it’s just right to share to the world your thoughts and feelings and maybe convince others too, to do the same. Let’s all keep on blogging. Congrats on your new job!!! God is good! 🙂
@Cidy, thanks. As long as you’re there to support the Sox Bloggers, we will keep on going and going.
@Orman, bwahahaha! Am sure!
@Sheng, I should THANK you and Ric instead for accepting me and joining me in the fun!
@Elmer, partz, coming from you, i am very touched, to say the least. Hope you could join us in the next eyeballs. Thanks so much.
@Pilar, Amen and Amen. Couldn’t have done it without Him. Thanks for inviting me to dinner kanina.
@Fadhz, for introducing this blog to your forum friends, thank you too. Hope we can share more of GenSan’s development to the world this year and beyond.
@Jinky, thanks Mare. In so short a time, you yourself has developed into one blogger not to be sneezed at. Ipagpatuloy ang laban!
@Ache, more of your support is also needed for this year. Thanks for always being there. Mwah!
Wow ache di ka na ma-reach!!! I’m so happy for you, you get to promote the city and at the same time enjoy blogging and all the travels and perks that go with it…I’m sure u added friends and associates in the process too..
Well-deserved my friend, take a bow…
Will eagerly wait for your posts..I know it will be another blast this 2010!!!
congratulations, blogging superstar, idol ng bayan!
ikaw na ged! wala ng iba. . .
congrats and thank you for inspiring us to blog and blog and blog. . .:-D
HAPPY NEW YEAR PALA sa LAHAT!
CONGRATULATIONS KUYA AVEL and GENSAN NEWS ONLINE MAG…
Whew! What a year and for sure… mas marami ka pa maishare KUYA this 2010…
Go GENSAN GO!
We are all proud GENERALS! MABUHAY ANG GENSAN at si KUYA AVEL!
Hi Avel, Happy New Year!!! wow you really have made gensan known to the world. keep it up my friend and i pray to God to give you more wisdom to make this blog of yours move on.
Thanks for being there always when fellow Generals around the globe are aching their hearts of nostalgia…you have been their resort while away from home. big thanks also for you were able to make countless writers and net surfers to aim their fingers on gensantoscity and, thereby, elevating the name of our city more in the process. And, for the years to come…feel my presence always in this site!
Congratulations to the well loved Gensan News Online Mag, and thank you for the friendship you have shared. Blogging has been part of my life since 2005 and we will always be proud of your blog because this has been the avenue where we have met, the blog world. Kudos!
yeeeyyy you finally got your groove back!!! tapos na ang 2009 and it appears that you’re the winner. humanda ka sa 2010… bwahahahahahaha <—- evil laugh!
Sa sobrang dami na gusto kong sabihin, pero ito na lang. Ang galing mo sir Avel. You deserve it- CONGRATULATIONS! =)
I’m looking forward to your blog posts for 2010.
Reading this blog post makes me teary-eyed. It’s amazing to see how much you and your blog has achieved just for 2009.
2008 was also a banner year for you with the very successful staging of MBS2.
I’m sure you and your blog will soar to new and even greater heights this year. Truly, you and your blog are worth emulating. Congratulations for a glorious 2009, Bariles!
Looking forward to 2010 with GenSan’s premiere blog.
@Teacher Lyle, if these two years have been good to the blog, it is because of more “experienced bloggers” like you who had no second thoughts in tutoring and mentoring upstarts bloggers like me and the rest of my colleagues here in GenSan on how to make our outputs better and our adsense “bigger”. Bariles wouldn’t be where it is right now (accolades and traffic and all) without your valuable and priceless help… even up to this day. I think that is your calling, teacher Lyle. You teach, you nurture….. we follow, we grow.
And that’s the way it will be. Salamat ged!
@Rabsky, thanks for being what you are, young and talented and someone who has got the goods to be a famous blogger someday. You’re lucky to have discovered blogging at such an early age and I am very positive you will go to heights you will never imagine … with akosirabsky. Mabuhay ka at ang mga batang bloggers ng socsksargen!
@Lito, from the first time that you’ve commented here and up to now (after quite a time), you have always been one of my most faithful readers… and with that, I am very grateful.
@Hecky, Manoy, we started this and so it wouldn’t have gone this far without your guidance and motivation. This blog is yours as much as mine. Thanks a zillion.
@Brendel, and I love you, your friendship and for all the generosity you and Lyle shared to this little blogger from Dadiangas. Thanks and looking forward to a better 2010 for all of us, Mindanaoans.
Congratulations, Avel. I love you and your blog to pieces. You deserve all the blessings.
Long live the Fishman! 🙂
move on… move on… and more power to Gensan News Online Mag
wish you a lot of progress and happy happy blogging
i am always be a fan of bariles and gensan news online mag…
more power for 2010!!!
Thank You Sir for bringing GenSantos.com in the world wide web. LOL. thanks for the blog posts, marami kaming natutunan through your news, opinions, your pakulo’s like blog contests… and also through this blog, i made a lot of techie friends.. from gensan to different parts of the world. di bah amazing?
a lot of thanks also to the sponsors UP UP THERE. ^^^^^ as sir bariles mentioned in this blog post. mabuhay kayong lahat..
tayong mga AVID READERS.. just continue to read and read and read sir bariles’ blog post. hwag niyo rin kalimutang magcomment! ^^
MORE BLOG POSTS TO COME IN THIS YEAR 2010… MABUHAY ANG GENSANTOS.COM! Yipee! :DD